Friday, July 24, 2009

Friends Are The Family We Choose For Ourselves...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Neeter
Happy Birthday to you


How old are you?...Ok, I'll stop right there. 'Cause I know exactly how old you are. You are one month (minus 2 days) older than moi!!! 29 will suffice for now, right?


My very best friend in the whole world (T is not included in this count--he and Jesus are exempt) Anita Lucille Chase Bowen is celebrating a birthday today. We have been great friends since 4th grade-And.that.was.a.very.long.time.ago.


When I was at the end of my sophomore year in high school, my family moved from our little country house into the big city, therefore causing me to transfer schools. But Anita was my one friend from the old school that I remained close to. I can recall spending the night with her on many occasions, including sleeping in the drafty area of her co-op(college-ahhh)...or did I sleep on the floor of her room? Ok, apparently I can't recall...but I really did it!!!


When I got married she was one of my bridesmaids, and when she walked the aisle, she loved me enough to have me be one of her bridesmaids even though I was about 7 months preggo with A. A couple of weekends ago we were watching a video of my wedding, and H commented on the fact that Anita looks exactly the same except for she had bigger hair in the video (it was '87 mind you). I'd say that she has aged rather well, don'tcha think?

We call each other our "Forever Friend", which obviously means we will either be friends forever, or it seems as if we have been friends forever...take your pick-you get the picture.
Anita is my friend that I can tell anything to...from fights that T and I have(rare-but true), to problems with my kids, to feminine issues, work issues, family issues, money issues...you name it--we share it. She is so willing to provide a shoulder to cry on when friends and family treat me poorly, I don't have enough money in the bank to "keep up with the Joneses", I'm having a bad hair day--you know what I mean...all with a godly heart and intent. Aren't you jealous?

But on the other hand...we have shared some incredibly fun memories. Bon Jovi? How about that, huh? We were there-and-it-was-awesome. We also have seen Garth Brooks together--which one do you think was in our earlier years? She was also my first friend to come to the hospital after all of my children were born--they call her Aunt...and she is. She has been a sister to me, a sister of the heart.

One time when I was having car trouble in a vehicle, she was ready and willing to push my van backwards out of a parking spot at the Mall, all while wearing her work clothes. I hope she is still able to push-cause I'm having car trouble...again. Did I mention that on top of knowing one another for so many years,we work together? When I was re-entering the workforce, she told me of a job at the Agency where she works...and I got the job!! Our offices share a wall...can't get much better than that!!!! We have now worked together for over 10 years, and I miss the times that she is not here b/c I love our daily catch-ups. After work one night, I vividly recall attending a home sales party at another friends' house...one that was a little wild for us mild souls...but the experiences that we went through are some of our greatest chuckles.

For our big four-oh ...we threw ourselves a grand party in a hotel suite here in town, and had someone that sells designer replica purses come and set up, as well as offer chair massages and polish changes for anyone interested. It was so much fun...and we deserved it!!! Yes we did.

We deserved it because we had been through ~
joy
heartache
first kisses
shoulder pads
Bon Jovi
big hair
blue eyeshadow/liner
leg warmers
Duran Duran
weddings
divorces
births
deaths
love
hate...ok, dislike
Bon Jovi (worth a repeat)
90210-only the original
graduations
growth in Christ

see...we have survived the spectrum...

Love you Neeter...no matter how old we are, no matter how cranky we may become, no matter if we share a wall in a nursing home...
we shall always be...
Forever Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment